Digital Reach is a content engagement platform used by over 75,000 advisors from major financial institutions all cross Canada. It empowers them to send personalized, compliant, trackable communications to their clients. It was - and still is - a great product, but clients were unhappy with its outdated Flash design and limiting workflow.
product design lead
I led the design for the HTML update of DIGITALREACH. I worked alongside an agile team of developers, a business analyst and a product manager.
I focused on simplifying the user experience of the product's core workflow - creating and sending content deliveries. I also improved the look of the UI, and designed it to accommodate future growth and feature additions.
The main purpose of this project was to move the DIGITALREACH platform from Flash to HTML. However, we also saw a great opportunity to improve the product at the same time.
To get the team on board with my vision, I sketched out some of the main workflows of the product, scanned them, and made a quick prototype using Invision. Because some of the product team works remotely, this was an easy way for us to communicate, discuss and quickly iterate without spending a lot of time building a more high fidelity prototype.
Some early sketches
The old DIGITALREACH product never had a style guide or any kind of component library to follow. This made for a lot of inconsistencies throughout the tool. As well, it was hard to onboard a new designer or front end developer without anything to reference. During the redesign, I made sure we had a working design library that we were constantly adding to.
With over 30 large financial clients on our platform, we had to design an efficient system to manage all of their brands and represent their colour schemes beautifully. What we came up with was a system of global colours and brand colours that defined every element in the product.
After a lot of prototypes, iterating, and internal testing, we finally had a design system we were happy with. The following screens show the updated design applied to the DIGITALREACH brand.
Contacts & Groups
Account and Role Selector
During the redesign process, we had regular workshops with the team anytime we wanted to change a workflow or update a feature. We would map out different solutions on the whiteboard, and then by the end of the session, I'd go away with a few strong ideas to explore. One of the workflows we debated on the most was the delivery workflow.
Creating, populating and sending a delivery is the main workflow in DIGITALREACH. In the old Flash product, sending a delivery was frustrating because some screens weren't accessible until you were a few steps into the delivery, and if you tried to back track, you'd lose your work. We explored two options to improve this process:
After prototyping and internally testing both options, we decided to move forward with Option 2. Below is quick look at the Deliveries module.
One of the roadmap items I was really pushing for to include in the HTML release was onboarding. The old product had no onboarding process at all. New users were required to go through a lengthy training session and refer to PDF documents for help on how to use the platform.
It took a bit longer than I hoped, but DIGITALREACH finally has onboarding! We signed up for a product called 'WalkMe' - a browser based product that allows us to add step by step walkthroughs, alerts and more to our platform without writing any code. This means that my UX team could own the onboarding process from beginning to end. Perfect.
The HTML redesign was a great success. We've gotten some great feedback from our clients and users and we're continually making updates to the platform